Moving Day: Revenge of the boxes

NOTE : This entry was written on December 30, 2008, and is the first in a series about my move to Baltimore.

It took almost an hour to load my stuff into the back of my mom’s minivan last night (Friday), and that was with Butch’s help. The problem wasn’t the boxes, bags and small furniture but finding a way to make them fit into the back of the vehicle (especially one with a low overhead clearance).

Butch offers to help us move the larger pieces down (to Baltimore), but mom doesn’t want to overburden him – especially during the holidays. Besides, she said that she didn’t think Craig and Mary-Anne were doing anything on the weekend, and if they were then I was officially fucked.

It took just under 3 hours to drive to Baltimore (not counting the wasted stop at the Target store in Timonium). Unpacking began almost as soon as we entered the apartments’ two level garage, but we were hindered slightly by having to work around the arm chair and large television they were packed around.

At least two people passed us while w were unloading the van, none of them offered to help carry anything. We didn’t need your help anyway, losers.

Once all the boxes were inside, mom decided to try and find us a convenience store where I could pick up some food for the next few days. Fortunately, there was a small grocery store just a few blocks west of the new apartment – and I do mean small with a selection to match (their entire stock was non-label goods).

When we returned to the apartment, it was finally time to get the chair and television out of the back of the van. The former wasn’t all that heavy just bulky, but the TV was both. In both cases the problem wasn’t navigating the sharp corner in the hallway, but getting the items past the auto-locking inner door (ultimately solved by shoving the mail crate into the door jam preventing it from closing).

It’s 3pm, and mom stated making grumblings about getting out of the city before rush hour. But in the mean time, we arrange what little furniture I have upstairs and try to set up the television.

Mom leaves. I’m surrounded by boxes, bags and miscellaneous containers and I have no idea what the hell I’m going to do with all of them.

Two hours later, I was making slow progress towards getting things put away and making the place look livable. There was a lot more work to be done, but it would have to wait until after dinner.

My microwave hadn’t been delivered yet so I grabbed some rice from the cabinet, and the shelf collapsed. I pick the food off the floor and grabbed a pot from the lower cabinet (which thankfully didn’t have a shelf), turned on the stove and waited for the water to boil.

And waited…

And waited some more…

I check one last time to find that the water was still cold – the burner never clicked on. I thought I could call for Chinese, but my phone wasn’t connected yet. In the end, all I had for dinner was a granola bar and a glass of milk.

It’s 7:15pm, and downstairs looks somewhat presentable, but I’m out of hangers and my dresser is still back in my old apartment. I’m completely exhausted, but my bed and mattress are back in Pennsylvania. It’s going to be a long night

Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: