Pre-moving Day

Mom woke me up at 9am, and I quickly showered, dressed and went down for breakfast before they closed at 10am. The spread was free, but it was nowhere near as nice as the other Hampton Inns we stayed at on our way down (Rocky Point, NC and St. Augustine, Fla.).

I felt lazy taking the elevator to the second floor, but I had no idea where the stairs were. I threw a jacket into my bag along with my checkbook, a small notebook and a couple pens. I cinched it tight and stood there for nearly ten minutes watching my mom fumble around trying to find her car keys, room key, sunglasses and jacket.

The next four hours were a blur of activity that on any other day would probably warrant their own post, but, for the sake of brevity, I’ll just lie and say nothing unusual happened. This is Florida – even the hour long out-of-nowhere downpour wasn’t all that noteworthy (aside from the fact I didn’t have an umbrella\poncho on me).

We finish our errands and for some reason mom insists on “exploring” I-drive babbling about cleaning supplies and bottled water. When we reach the end of the road she shouts “DOLLAR TREE” and immediately pulls off the road into the nearby strip mall. She tells me to quit “complaining” and sends me to the coffee shop next door if that would make me “feel better” (which appears on my “lucky phrase” list right before “what’s the worst that could happen?”)

I’m standing in line at Dunkin Donuts when my phone rings. Leasing company again, they are calling to “remind” me – for the seventh time – that I don’t have a “proper income” to qualify for living there. “We need a PAY STUB.” I went over this with them before, but now my documents are missing…spread out between three, four or even five bags and I don’t have time to search through them all.

Return to hotel for an hour or so before driving to Downtown Disney (soon to “Disney Springs,” though due to construction we have to park in the Casting lots bringing back many awkward memories) when my mom takes me to the Wolfgang Puck Express. Maybe it was just the oddly short queue area, but it seemed like we were waiting in an unusually long line for what was essentially a counter service meal even though it was brought out by a waiter… who had to immediately take my food back because the guy at the order station could give a darn about what I wanted on my pizza.

Yet, despite the delays we managed to be in and out of WPE in just under an hour and back into the Springs where my mom proceeds to dive into the LEGO Store, Once Upon a Toy and The Co-Op before slowly heading back to her car…

Categories: florida, Orlando | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: