Theme Park Tourist has an interesting article about 5 Magic Kingdom Attractions That Need Refurbishment. I don’t know if I agree with all of their proposals, but I know I’ve touched on some of them before on this blog.
- “The Enchanted Tiki Room” – They tried “refurbishing” this ride before – not only did it bomb completely, but the building caught fire nearly razing the entire structure but only the newly added elements were severely damaged. Besides, why fix what isn’t broken?
- “The Carousel of Progress” – The author of the post sees things differently than I do, but here’s MY thoughts if you want to compare notes.
- “The Tomorrowland Speedway” – another ride I’ve covered before, lots of real estate that could be used for something more in line with the land’s theme. I do like their ideas of cleaner electric cars and giving it a Meet the Robinsons theme as that movie does not get the attention it deserves.
- “Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade” – I always forget that’s there so I can’t say how well it works or not, but unlike TTS it fits the theme of its land.
- “Astro Orbiter” – Agree that the line moves slowly and the vehicles can be a bit “cramped,” but the appeal of this ride is the view of the rest of the park and the feeling of “flying” it gives you. The suggestions for “lasers” and “moving in more directions” would add nothing to the ride.
Bonus (not mentioned in the above story):
- “Tomorrowland Transit Authority” – I mentioned this one before too, but the more the think of it the more it needs it. The script is flat and somewhat disjointed. Plus, the narrator doesn’t have the kind of voice for a ride like this. There is rarely a line longer than 5 minutes to get on it.
- “Stitch’s Great Escape” – I’m not sure why they left this ride off as it is otherwise their favorite punching bag and for good reason – the concept just doesn’t work. The original ride “Alien Encounter” was scary as fuck, but Lilo & Stitch was an animated comedy and doesn’t quite work being shoehorned into what was basically a horror ride with a few minor L&S overlays (including a major continuity error at the end of the attraction). That being said Experiment 626 works surprisingly well in the Toyko Disneyland version of “The Enchanted Tiki Room” so maybe I spoke too soon about item #1…